How about a childhood memory relating to Disney music:
We had the Snow White LP when I was a child. I’m pretty sure it’s still in my mom’s living room; I can clearly picture the cover. I loved this album, and played it over and over and over in my childhood. From Snow White’s trilling voice — “We are standing by a wishing well…”
I would walk around and around the living room, thrilling to the music, imagining the Snow White story and probably creating a bit of fan fiction in my head as well. It was bliss …
As an adult, visiting Disney World, a big part of the appeal for me is the music. I absolutely love the “Carousel of Progress” music, the Haunted Mansion song, even — shielding myself from the flying tomatoes here — “It’s a Small World.”
Jazz Loves Disney
Did you know that there is a new Disney soundtrack out? It’s called Jazz Loves Disney.
Fun fact: Walt Disney loved jazz. He also paid close attention to the writing of the music used in his films. Many Disney characters (think Jiminy Cricket, Tinker Bell, or Toy Story’s Woody the cowboy) are closely associated with particular musical themes.
Jazz Loves Disney was recorded between Paris, London and Los Angeles by a talented cast, but the album is incredibly coherent, as if all participants had agreed to pay a rightful tribute to the most beautiful and symbolic tunes of Walt Disney’s magic world. It does have an international flair, with some of the pieces recorded in other languages.
Two of my favorite tracks are “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes” — the silky trumpet sound makes this one ideal for helping you drift off to dreamland. Also, “When You Wish Upon A Star” — this is the first I’d heard of Gregory Porter, but I really like his voice. It reminded me of Frank Sinatra.
Here’s the entire album:
1. Jamie Cullum – “Everybody Wants To Be A Cat” – from The Aristocats
2. Melody Gardot – “He’s A Tramp” – from Lady And The Tramp
3. Stacey Kent – “Bibbidi Bobbodo Boo” (French version) – from Cinderella
4. Gregory Porter – “When You Wish Upon A Star” – from Pinocchio
5. China Moses – “Why Don’t You Do Right” – from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
6. Raphaël Gualazzi – “I Wanna Be Like You” – from The Jungle Book
7. The Rob Mounsey Orchestra – “A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes” – from Cinderella
8. Hugh Coltman – “You’ve Got A Friend In Me” – from Toy Story
9. Anne Sila – “Let It Go” – from Frozen
10. Melody Gardot & Raphaël Gualazzi – “The Bare Necessities” – from The Jungle Book
11. Laika – “Once Upon A Dream” – from Sleeping Beauty
12. Nikki Yanofsky -“Someday My Prince Will Come” – from Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs
13. The Hot Sardines – I Wanna Be Like You (French & English version) – from The Jungle Book (US release only)
Which track interests you most?