I have to admit that I’d always thought of Melania and Donald in a very stereotypical way: rich older guy chooses younger, gorgeous model wife. Indeed, the facts sort of point that way —
- Trump was born in 1946.
- His first wife, Ivana, was born in 1949. They married from 1977 to 1991 and have 3 children — Donald Jr., Ivanka, and Eric.
- During the end of this marriage, Trump began an affair with actress Marla Maples, who was born in 1963. They were married from 1993 to 1999, and had a daughter, Tiffany, 2 months before their marriage.
- Current wife Melania was born in 1970 and they have been married since 2005, with a son, Barron William.
- She was born April 26, 1970, in Slovenia (then part of Yugoslavia). Her mom was a fashion designer; her dad managed car dealerships. Her last name was Knauss (kuh-NAUSS).
- Melania is 5’11”.
- Melania began modeling when she was 16, and signed with an agency in Milan when she was 18.
- At age 26, Melania moved to New York City. She met Donald Trump at a party there two years later, in 1998. He was separated from Marla Maples at the time. He asked Melania for her phone number, but she declined to give it to him. Later, she called him herself.
- Melania and Trump dated for several years before marrying in a lavish ceremony in 2005. It was attended by the Clintons and various other celebrities. Melania’s dress cost $200,000.
- Melania became a US citizen in 2006.
- Melania and Donald’s son was born in 2006, the year after their marriage. He is named Barron William — Donald chose the name Barron; Melania chose William. Barron is bilingual, speaking English and Slovenian. Melania reports that she calls him “mini Donald” and that he prefers dressing up to wearing sweatpants.
- Melania has produced a jewelry line and a skincare line. She has a Twitter account and has tweeted revealing photos of herself wearing swimsuits, among other things.
- Of Donald, Melania says, “He’s a great husband, very understanding if I need time for myself. We are both very independent. He works in the office, I work at home and he understands that. If I say I need an hour—I’m going to take a bath, or I’m having a massage—he doesn’t have nothing against it. He’s very supportive in that way.” She has also said, “to marry a man like Donald, you need to know who you are.”
- Asked, years before her marriage, how she would be as a first lady, Melania said, “I would be very traditional. Like Betty Ford or Jackie Kennedy. I would support him.” Donald says of Melania: “We literally have never had an argument, forget about the word ‘fight’ … We just are very compatible. We get along.”
- Should Donald be elected, Melania would be the first foreign-born first lady since Louisa Adams, wife of John Quincy.
Would you like to see Melania in the White House?
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: