You may have read the sad news that Mark Shand passed away last week.
Who is Mark Shand? He’s the younger brother of Camilla Parker Bowles, wife of Prince Charles. In the photo above, you can see Camilla and Mark.
I didn’t know much about Mark, so I did a bit of research. Here are some things to know about Mark:
- Mark is 4 years younger than Camilla. They also have another sister, Anabel Shand Elliot.
- Mark stayed busy right up to the end: the day he died, he had officiated at an auction at Sotheby’s in New York City which raised money for a charity of his that works to end the extinction of Asian Elephants. He traveled extensively and was a travel writer as well.
- Here is a video where you can hear Mark speaking about his elephant charity.
- In 1990, Mark Shand married actress Clio Goldsmith. They divorced in 2009 and have a 19-year-old daughter, Ayesha. Earlier, he had been romantically linked with Bianca Jagger and Caroline Kennedy.
- Mark went to school at Milton Abbey until he was expelled for smoking cannabis. He had also driven race cars and bobsleds during his adventurous life.
- Mark died in a rather freak way — he hit his head on the pavement in Manhattan after slipping while trying to light a cigarette. He was on life support for 12 hours before doctors determined that they could not help him further. A source close to Camilla said, “It is just the most tragic of accidents. No one can quite believe it has happened. He was always such a vital man, so full of life.”