Recently I saw a giveaway at a blog. I wanted to sign up. So, I scrolled down to look for how to enter. And I found it. Holy cow, I found it. Here’s a rough idea:
Would you like to win the $25 Target gift card? Just follow these directions!
1. MANDATORY ENTRY – if this one is not included, no other entries will count!
Become a follower of my blog.
2. Get an extra entry for going to target.com and telling me something you would like to buy if you win!
3. Get another entry if you tweet about this contest.
4. Get another entry if you post my contest on facebook.
5. Get an extra *two* entries if you tell someone about this contest and they come enter and mention your name!
6. Get an extra *three* entries if you link to my blog in a post on your blog about my contest!
At this point, I just decided I would rather just skip all that mess and spend my own money at Target.
Really, many blog giveaways have become just that ridiculous. And I am sad.
I can see what the bloggers are doing. Many companies out there want to work with bloggers who have thousands of “followers” (one reason I’m very thankful I began my blog with wordpress rather than blogger is that we don’t have the “follow” option. I could have a thousand “following” my blog or none – and I guess none of us will ever know). They want to work with bloggers whose blogs are linked on Twitter, Facebook, and other blogs.
And the whole thing just seems contrived to me. I would like people to come here to read because I have something to say – not because of some gimmick.
I do post most every week day. And, actually I do have a current giveaway. You can enter if you like, but relax. I won’t make you tweet about it or post it on facebook or on your blog. You don’t even have to follow me :).