This is the first day of school here in our corner of the world! And, even though I have posted previously about first day of school treats, I was just in the mood to do it again. So, here are some fun ideas to try …
1. School Bus Cookies are a fun way to celebrate for younger kids. Buy (or make) sugar cookie dough; cut the dough into school bus shapes, bake, and frost with yellow icing. M&M’s make great wheels, and you can be as creative as you’d like.
2. Handprint Cookies are great for preschoolers. The night before school, trace your child’s hand on paper and cut it out. Then, use this as a pattern for cutting sugar cookie dough into hand shapes. Bake, and let your child have fun decorating the hand (girls especially enjoy “painting” the fingernails with different colors of frosting and sprinkles).
3. Back to School Cookie Puzzle is for those of you feeling motivated to try something big! Roll out sugar cookie dough, and then cut out various shapes that have relevance for your child (maybe a soccer ball, a musical instrument, a book). You will bake the shapes separately from the remaining dough outline, and then decorate. Your kids will be sure to have fun taking the puzzle apart as they eat it!
4. Cookie Pops are a lot of fun. Basically, you will make the dough of your choice and then insert craft sticks into the dough before baking it (a word of advice: be sure to insert the stick far enough, or the cookie will tend to fall off). You can make these round and decorate them as faces, or make cookies resembling teddy bears, pencils, crayons, or any other school-related theme.
5. Gum Drop Cookies are a nostalgic treat. This recipe features a hearty oatmeal cookie chock-full of colorful gum drops. It’s a nod to simpler times, and the kids are sure to enjoy the bright, colorful candies.
So, what am I making today?
Other ideas from past years: